About Abu Bekr Shiners
Abu Bekr Shrine Temple is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting fun, fellowship, brotherly love, relief, and truth. Established in March 1907 with 30 nobles living in Sioux City, Abu Bekr Temple has grown over the past 100 years to encompass a wide area that includes much of Western Iowa. Our mission is to provide a supportive community for our members and to give back to the community through charitable works and events. We pride ourselves on creating an inclusive environment where all are welcome.
Abu Bekr Temple was organized in March, 1907, with a nucleus of 30 Nobles living in Sioux City. Since that time over a 100 years ago, Abu Bekr Temple has grown to encompass a wide area that includes much of Western Iowa, part of NE Nebraska, and 2 counties in SE South Dakota.
Will H. Beck, a pioneer Sioux City jeweler, headed a committee to establish a Temple in Sioux City and was joined in the effort by David M. Brownlee, George E.. Ward, J. E. Henriques, A. L Fribourg, A. A. Smith, E.. G. Dilley and Torn Steele.
George D. Perkins, pioneer publisher of Sioux City Journal, headed a committee to select a name for the Temple and they settled on Abu Bekr, disciple of the Prophet Mohammed.
The first ceremonial was held on October 17, 1907, when the first class of novices crossed the burning sands. With the first initiates and other Shriners who had settled in Sioux City, the charter membership of Abu Bekr Temple reached 400. Almost immediately a Foot Patrol was organized under Capt. Charles A. Borman to represent the Temple at the Imperial Session in St. Paul in 1908. Today there are 24 organized uniform units of Abu Bekr Temple and eight Shrine Clubs.
Watch as we reflect on our first 100 years of being unstoppable for our patients—and join us as we look ahead to the next 100.
At Abu Bekr Shrine Temple, we believe in the power of community to make positive change. Together, we can create a better world.
CELEBRATING 100 YEARS OF UNSTOPPABLE SPIRIT & CARE
100 years ago Shriners Children’s made a promise. One made of brick and mortar and compassion. One sworn to protect and heal the most precious among us. A century later, we are still keeping that promise with facilities all across the globe, helping children from almost every country in the world, with an unwavering dedication to breakthroughs in care, with an ever-growing army of healers standing ready and able. So when a child is staring down a health challenge, we’re at their side. When parents despair in the dark, we shine a light. Together we’ve treated more than 1.5 million patients. 1.5 million children who inspired us with their endless drive to keep moving forward. And so we will too. Because 100 years later our commitment stands. Like our patients we will not yield. We will not quit. We are unstoppable.